Music Banter - View Single Post - The English Football Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 03:29 AM   #2304 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadShotKeen View Post
I don't think we can afford to be so smug as our own league is similarly cartel-ridden and uncompetitive, with the smaller teams vastly over-stretching themselves trying (unsuccessfully) to compete. The product is better, the framework not. The entire structure of European football needs a radical shake-up, starting with salary caps and IMHO horizontal rather than vertical structures, ie a "franchise" system from the top down without promotion/relegation between leagues. Eventually there will be a European Super League at the pinnacle of this with the 4 big English and 2 big Scottish teams in there for me. And it'll be great. Let scummy teams like mine (Hull City) play in a league we can actually win.

Imagine if Liverpool actually get that 4th Champs League spot after all. There'll probably be a tidal wave in Japan caused by the thud as every neutral fan in the country simultaneously dies of boredom.
A European Super League with two Scottish clubs (Rangers and Celtic!!!) We are talking about two teams who are more Coca Cola Championship quality than Premiership!!! Tis a pity though, that they are not in the Premiership as watching Rangers and Celtic battling with the likes of Portsmouth, Bolton and West Ham for survival would be worth watching.

As for salary caps and the franchise system, this has been suggested but its so american and totally goes against the spirit of European football, European football has a history that american sports just don`t have, clubs have a huge history that are lnked to particular cities and regions and the franchise system just wouldn`t work. I agree about capping salaries to a degree, as it has just got so out of hand. If memory serves me correctly The Bundesliga imposes some type of salary capping or at least their biggest team Bayern Munich does.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote