Music Banter - View Single Post - The English Football Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 07:56 AM   #2308 (permalink)
DeadShotKeen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
There's already salary capping in English football.

League one & League two have been doing it for years. Clubs can't spend more than 60 per cent of their total income on players salaries.
Are you sure? I've never heard of that but even if it's true it's only applying it at a level where there is essentially parity anyway. Also the "percentage of turnover" wouldn't help Everton keep hold of Rooney etc., if anything it increases the likelihood he leaves. It's a flatter cap that's needed, which, of course, requires that the clubs in any league be on roughly the same footing.

Can you provide a source for this? I watch vast amounts of football at various levels yet have never heard of this. And why wouldn't it apply also to the Championship, which is also under the same Football League umbrella?

Unknown Soldier - of course you're right that the 2 big Scottish clubs are poor but that's due to the difficulty they face attracting top level players to a mediocre league. My point is that if you put them in a European Super League then with their infrastructure and massive fan bases they would compete. The same would be true if you put them in the EPL (after a few seasons of getting up to speed), however I don't support that within the current structure as it makes no sense. Why not let Bayern Munich have a crack at Serie A etc. There are good logistical reasons for it but it's just a minor fiddle when we really need a much bigger shake-up.
DeadShotKeen is offline   Reply With Quote