Music Banter - View Single Post - The English Football Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #2309 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadShotKeen View Post
Are you sure? I've never heard of that but even if it's true it's only applying it at a level where there is essentially parity anyway. Also the "percentage of turnover" wouldn't help Everton keep hold of Rooney etc., if anything it increases the likelihood he leaves. It's a flatter cap that's needed, which, of course, requires that the clubs in any league be on roughly the same footing.

Can you provide a source for this? I watch vast amounts of football at various levels yet have never heard of this. And why wouldn't it apply also to the Championship, which is also under the same Football League umbrella?
It was introduced to League two in 2003 to help try & reduce the amount of teams going into administration. League one went ahead the following season.

It was a voluntary scheme more to keep clubs solvent more than anything. I guess the reason it never went to the championship was because I can't imagine clubs trying to get into the premier league wanting to cap players wages.

I have no idea if it's still running now.

Here's the best article I can find on it.
Whelan calls for top-flight salary cap - News & Comment, Football - The Independent

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote