Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official "Music Was So Much Better in the Glorious Days of Yore" Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 11:50 PM   #36 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

I believe music was slighty better back in the 70's. During early 80's it was still awesomely influence by what took placed in the 70's but starting with 1980 it went downhill gradually throughout the decade getting worse and worser so by the time you get to Grunge people thought it was greatest thing since slice bread, maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, who knows. When Nirvana came along and there was little of UK bands ever heard on the radio until Oasis, but there was a small riff between US and UK musical taste that was slowly growing ever since 70's. During the 60's it seemed that the US and the UK were on the same page, a large part due to the British Invasion, which America was the recipient of the invading groups. It is a shame riff of musical taste happened because UK bands like The Jam or The Libertines or whoever are really like influential to most indie bands we hear now. I have to say it's the Post Grunge Era that was the halcyon days for Alternative Rock, music in general, probably the best music heard since the 70's.

Why the 70's were so awesome:
1. Analog recording, everything was done on tape.
2. The music scene in the UK was unbelievabley innovative in the 70's, with Progressive Rock, Pub Rock, Punk, Post-Punk & New Wave
3. Brian Eno, started out in the 70's one of the greatest producers of all time, with a mind blowing roster of bands he produced.
4. John Peel, a DJ with Midas touch
5. 70's UK bands:
Buzzcocks
The Clash
Elvis Costello and the Attractions
Dave Edmunds
Peter Gabriel
Genesis
The Jam
Joy Division
Nick Lowe
Paul McCartney and The Wings
The Motors
Gary Neuman and The Tubeway Army
Graham Parker and The Rumours
Pink Floyd
The Rezillos
Rockpile
The Rumours
The Smirks
Squeeze

and of course bands that started in the 60's like
Led Zeppelin
The Rolling Stones
Traffic
Yes

UK turned out some great bands in the 80's too like
The Cure
Duran Duran
Def Leppard
The Fixx
New Order
The Psychedelic Furs
The Smiths

But it wasn't the same since the 70's. I know a lot of Bob Dylan and Lady Ga Ga fans are thinking "what are you talking about?" Music rules in the 60's/00's respectively, well that's just my opinion.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote