Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official "Music Was So Much Better in the Glorious Days of Yore" Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 11:31 PM   #62 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
This is all psychological. If you had never heard music before and started listening to stuff that is being put out now, you will think it is ****ing magical.
That is not true, that is like saying if you never read French before when you pick up a French Novel it would magical - I doubt it. It's like a Catch-22 for music to sound magical you have to have some frame of reference, you had to hear music before, and develope your own musicality & critea of listening to music. A magical song only comes when you can compare it to other songs you heard before, and it blows your socks off because it sounds better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga
Then, once you crave something new, you will inevitably look to the past for music you have never heard before.
I can't blindly agree with you like some people. There is two train of thoughts, one is delving into the past to learn about the history of music; the other is to stay with current music and ignore the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga
It has nothing to do with one decade being better than another, just what your personal tastes happen to be at the time. There was no one period of time where the musicians were much better than the best musicians of today.
Decade isn't really a good way to catagorize muisc, the end of one decade is entirely different then it's beginning, even from a economical, political or historical perspective. I think there are some periods that can be better then others, esp, when the period of time is known for a genre. That is because the continuity of musical ideas flow from one genre to the next, from one genreation to the next, each developing the some aspect of it through time. And there are like a nexus in musical history when everything clicks and it take on epic proportions, and the bands involve become stuff of legends. It happens all the time and most the time thats all people want to talk about is a band everyone heard; not a band like Pram or the Snowponies that no one heard about. But you have to admit some artist/bands that are called great in MB are not so great, like Michael Jackson or Bob Dylan or Lady Ga Ga or John Mayer - anyone saying those guys are good is blowing smoke up your ass. You can't cherry pick artist like say top artist in todays music are great because of Lady Ga Ga and John Mayer you have to go in the past and listen to all the bands together then realize yeah the 70's or the 80's were really awesome.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote