Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official "Music Was So Much Better in the Glorious Days of Yore" Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 11:44 PM   #63 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

^

Are you just trying to disagree with me? You reading so much into my post tells me you are.

Maybe to you a decade/point in time could be considered better than another because it is known for a certain genre of music you enjoy. We can all look back in awe at grunge, but I promise you the majority of people who grew up in the 70s/80s probably detested it (much like how I feel about emo these days).

But that is neither here nor there. I used the example of someone who had never heard music before listening to today's music as a simple frame of reference. Obviously, I didn't mean this applies to every human. For all we know, he could hate music in general. I also didn't feel the need to go into specifics about his musical journey, which I would assume would involve more discovery than just popping on the radio. Once he found the music he likes, he would find it magical, new, and totally original. Then, guess what? He wants a different band. Maybe something similar, maybe something totally different. After exhausting all his options on modern music, where to go? The past.

And your French analogy was horrendous. Learning a language and indulging in something so universal as music are two completely different things.