Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official "Music Was So Much Better in the Glorious Days of Yore" Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 11:57 PM   #66 (permalink)
Violent & Funky
FUNky

Personally, I agree with TheCunningStunt and I can relate because we are of similar age. My tastes begin with the alternative rock bands that were big during the 1990s. I have expanded the depth of the music I listen to by starting from what I know I like and exploring a little deeper. There are still plenty of great 80s/90s indie rock bands that I haven't given a chance, so I haven't really given a care to modern music. Sure, there are a few I have found that I really like--The Thermals, for instance--but it is usually a safer bet for me to just find a new 80s/90s alt rock band to listen to. My two main musical interests are rock with a funk influence and lo-fi/indie/garage/punk/slacker rock. Those seem like two genres that have seen better days.

And it doesn't help when I see a list like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
An Albatross
Black Moth Super Rainbow
The Book of Knots
Burial
Cannibal Ox
Cut Copy
The Decemberists
Dizzee Rascal
Dosh
The Dresden Dolls
Fischerspooner
Franz Ferdinand
Genghis Tron
High Places
The Hunches
Jesu
Kill Me Tomorrow
Kutiman
Liars
M83
Madvillain
Man Man
Mastodon
MIA
Milanese
Mu
Need New Body
A Place To Bury Strangers
The Polyphonic Spree
Sunn 0)))
Tomahawk
TV on the Radio
Vitalic
YMD
I have honesty heard of six of those bands. A lot of it probably has to do with the current state of mainstream rock music. It sucks. What current mainstream rock bands carry the artistic validity of a Siamese Dream or Badmotorfinger? None...
Violent & Funky is offline   Reply With Quote