Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official "Music Was So Much Better in the Glorious Days of Yore" Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 01:23 AM   #73 (permalink)
Violent & Funky
FUNky

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
And this means... what exactly? Most older stuff gets a lot of radio play, Foreigner still gets a lot of radio play so it's not much of an accomplishment. I'm by no means comparing Smashing Pumpkins to Foreigner by the way I'm just saying.

If you're asking if there are any bands that constant radio play that are on the same level of artistic credibility as the Pumpkins during the 90s, well then I don't know. I still have a lot of admiration for Tool and Muse, don't care what anyone says.
My point was that the bands from the early 90s like Nirvana, RHCP, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. were able to combine the two factors. That doesn't exist anymore to me.

I'm a Tool fan and they get a considerable amount of radio play, although they are never going to be played on pop radio like the above bands were. And Muse? Meh, I think they are talented musicians but aren't quite my thing. Maybe in 20 years they will be viewed differently, but they seem much less original than the above bands were for their time...
Violent & Funky is offline   Reply With Quote