Music Banter - View Single Post - Last album you bought, downloaded or listened to
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #10358 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post

Opium Cartel - Night Blooms (2009)

Like a lot of you here, I'm generally picking up new stuff all the time. Upon obtaining an album and giving it some serious time, one of three feelings results: like, dislike, or meh. Rarely do I fall in love with albums at first listen. Sometimes it never happens at all.

For the first time in a long time however, spring has sprung for me here, an album that came out in the middle of last year but nobody seemed to notice. Probably because the musicians involved are all prog. guys from Sweden and Norway even though the music here is generally NOT proggy at all. And perhaps such is for the best, because what they've accomplished here is a hell of a lot better than their careers in modern progressive rock.

Musically there's a lot happening. There's a shoegaze aesthetic that also feels a bit like old school alt. rock, a fair amount of folk, some slight metal touches, delicious classical, a lot of organic instrumentation..all which is held together in the core by subtle electronic touches that shiver in blissful, flawless nirvana. The vocals also do this music the best service possible, as both the male and female sound wonderful in their respective leads.

I know you guys generally don't take my suggestions, but this here is essential. I've even upped a few tracks to back up my assertions!
Aside from what's bolded above, I'm getting this album as I type this simply based on your post. Anytime someone is so excited about an album, I feel I have to check it out. I'll post back here and let you know what I think.

That, and I already love the band's name and that album cover. For some odd reason, I'm a sucker for mostly white album covers. It does something weird for me, and I approach the music differently.