Music Banter - View Single Post - Immortal Technique
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #86 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Supplements are not enough. You can't exhange the real thing for some pill or an alternative, that's just foolish. Like I already said, you would need to consume an incredible amount.

Ask ANY doctor. They will tell you that nothing is a substitute for dairy when it comes to your childs intake of calcium.
Captain Awesome, since our discussion is straying farther and farther from Immortal Technique's song, "Beef and Broccoli," would you like to continue our debate down in the lounge section in the "Is Meat Really Murder?" thread? http://www.musicbanter.com/822106-post1.html (Just so you know, I didn't start that thread! )

In answer to your first comment above, though, I would say that supplements, far from being foolish, are often a prudent way for anyone to ensure sufficient vitamin and mineral intake. As I wrote earlier, the U.S. fortifies cow's milk (and cereals) with vitamin D as a way to combat rickets, and the synthetic vitamin D does the job (albeit with some overdose risks).

In answer to your second comment, you can indeed find doctors, such as Dr. Neal Bernard of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, who state that milk products are not the best source of calcium in the diet. Dr. Bernard, M.D., is a nutrition researcher and an adjunct associate professor of medicine at the George Washington University School of Medicine and the head of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, which writes that:

Quote:
Milk and dairy products are not necessary in the diet and can, in fact, be harmful to health. It is best to consume a healthful diet of grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes, and fortified foods including cereals and juices. These nutrient-dense foods can help you meet your calcium, potassium, riboflavin, and vitamin D requirements with easeā€”and without health risks.
PCRM >> Questions About Vegetarian Diets >> Health Concerns about Dairy Products
PCRM >> Health >> Preventive Medicine and Nutrition >> Parents' Guide to Building Better Bones Factsheet
So, if you want to discuss dairy, meats, and veganism some more with me, I'll see you down in the lounge!
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote