View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #161 (permalink)
TheCellarTapes
Music Addict

The Kinks - Something Else by The Kinks
(1967)

Tracks

1 David Watts 2:40
2 Death of a Clown 3:15
3 Two Sisters 2:03
4 No Return 2:03
5 Harry Rag 2:19
6 Tin Soldier Man 2:53
7 Situation Vacant 2:43
8 Love Me Till the Sun Shines 3:23
9 Lazy Old Sun 2:49
10 Afternoon Tea 3:25
11 Funny Face 2:29
12 End of the Season 3:00
13 Waterloo Sunset 3:16

It is pretty well known in Cellar Dweller circles that I am pretty smitten by the The Kinks’ 1965 to 1969 period. You can talk about your Beatles and Rolling Stones all you want, but for me there is only one band from England in the 1960’s whose whole catalogue from the decade I never get tired of, and for me that band can only be The Kinks. On these pages I have reviewed all but one of the five albums from The Kinks’ golden period, so I figured it was about time I addressed this missing piece.

Released in the rather apt autumn of 1967, Something Else By The Kinks was the follow up to the rather impressive Face to Face from ’66, and what another dazzler it was. In a year when The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and The Hollies went a bit adventurous and Trippy, The Kinks instead marched to their own tune, using traits gained from that previous record, which meant more of that typical Davies commentary, wit and cynicism from this album. But there is more going for this record than just that.

Produced once again by Shel Talmy, his last record with the band incidentally, as well as for the first time, a young Raymond Davies stepping in with production credits, this album marked yet another development in The Kinks’ career. As a result of these recordings, Ray Davies went on to solely produce two of the great albums from the 1960’s, Arthur and of course Village Green, and you can hear those glorious signatures starting to come through on Something Else.

The highlights from this album are well, all of the songs to be frank. Taking a more acoustic and that old East End pub style piano approach to the songs, Something Else by The Kinks gives the listener songs like Harry Rag, which are sharp tongued but still make you feel welcome. There are some outstanding contemplative songs too and I don’t mean just Waterloo Sunset. Songs like Two Sisters demonstrate that The Kinks really could paint a beautiful picture with their music and words, creations which leave you totally dumbstruck by what has been produced.

A special mention for what is probably the last time for a few albums must go to Dave Davies. Lets be honest, the best song on this album is one he penned and it is called Death of a Clown. This is a rather reflective number which really does tug on the old heart strings. This song is arguably the best on the album and is a truly wonderful, an outstanding piece of work for all concerned.

Its not all good though, despite widespread critical acclaim, like with all of The Kinks’ albums from 66 onwards, it sold poorly in the UK. And in the US, where its British themes and existing embargo on performing it live, ultimately saw this album do nothing as well. Saying that, you really do not need me to tell you that record sales are no measure of true greatness, and The Kinks will always be the case and point.

Lets be frank, this album is flawless, it has poppy numbers, thought provoking numbers, songs for the Summer, songs for the Winter, songs for the Spring and songs for the Autumn, there are love songs and there are sad songs, all of which are truly marvellous. But all that said, some things in life can cast long, long shadows over things which initially appear perfect. After 1967 and Something Else by The Kinks came true greatness.

Other Kinks Albums in The Cellar

The Kinks (1965) - The Kink Kontroversy

The Kinks (1966) - Face to Face

The Kinks (1968) - The Village Green Preservation Society

The Kinks (1969) - Arthur (Or The Decline and Fall of The British Empire)
Twitter Page

Saturdays - 9pm - 11pm UK Time

Podcast Now Available
TheCellarTapes is offline   Reply With Quote