Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #1154 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

So then, NumberNineDream sent me...

Louise Attaque - Comme on a Dit

...which is the second (and, to my knowledge, last) official studio album from the French four-piece Louise Attaque. They formed in Paris the late 90s, became fairly popular (again, to my admittedly limited knowledge) in their native France and, judging by this album, peddled a sound that I suppose you could describe as chanson rock. Basically a bit of a heavier (in the majority of places) form of folk-rock then, with a few slower, more quiet and contemplative moments to balance things out. It was pretty impressive stuff overall, and something I felt I needed for the fact that I own barely any French music myself, so this has given me a little bit of a leg up - a starting point from which to delve a bit deeper. Musically, as I say, Comme on a Dit has its vocal parts sung entirely in French but, as with the best of music sung in a language I can't understand all that well, if the music itself is nice and well-thought and engaging enough, such things take a back seat. That's basically what the deal is with Louise Attaque here, as the prominent use of the fiddle does a lot to add some very nice colours to the proceedings, whatever tempo we're talking about. Hard to pick out favourites seeing as it's early days for me and this album, but the closing La Ballade de Basse is pretty majestic. Tout Passe and Pour un Oui, Pour un Non were other standouts.

Anyway, ta for this. Much appreciated

I'll post the next round of swap partners fairly soon too...
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote