Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 05:24 PM   #1720 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Eh, I've never jumped on that bandwagon either.

I don't think there is such a thing as overusing effects if you choose to let those effects define your style or produce the desired sound that you want. It's like when people criticize The Edge for his use of delay, he's not using it to "cheat", it just has a great sound to it and it gives his playing personality. It's not that the effects deserve all the credit, because I've yet to hear anyone use delay and reverb in the exact same way The Edge does, because even without the delay, he still has a style of his own.

Even if you use effects, there's still actual technique involved, if Tom Morello was nothing without his effects then you'd hear a LOT of sounding like Morello since he uses pretty standard pedals that anyone could find, but you don't, they may use the exact same pedals, but they wont sound the same.

Effects pedals still have to be programmed most of the time to get the kind of sounds that you want, that in of itself still requires a good ear and creativity.

I'm very pro effects of any kind, people who try to give music these bullsh*t rules like "guitarists shouldn't use so and so effects" piss me off, you might as well tell hip hop artists that they're "cheating" for not using a live band. If something is used to make music, it is an instrument, and pedals don't have any less validity as music making tools than any other kind of instrument or device.
good to see you're still the king of putting up straw men to knock down (i also get a kick of how you use a lot of my normal lines about pedals and synths as arguments against me...)

a low end harmoizer runs about $500 (high end is around $4000-$5000). how many teenagers are going to spend as much money on a single pedal as they likely did for their guitar AND amp (or their first car).

Morello has said so himself that he really should have been playing a synth but it didn't look as cool. image over substance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote