Music Banter - View Single Post - Why message boards go down hill.
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
anticipation
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Black Poppies View Post
On a related note, there's an undercurrent inherent in the kind of musical snobbery being talked about here that I've always found rather... I dunno, unsettling, I suppose. It basically comes down to the idea that having a critical perspective on art (music in this case) seems to be more about disliking things than actually liking them, finding something wrong in the taste of the less educated. IE: "That thing you like sucks because this thing you've never heard of is better" instead of "That thing you like is sort of like this thing that I like that you've never heard of, but here's what's cool about my thing." There's something of an ugly undercurrent of art-as-social-currency in that, as well as a... for lack of a better word, laziness or lack of understanding at least.

Although I guess it is difficult, since as was pointed out, reasoning here is based more on emotional response and personal passions than any kind of objective logic. Still, I think it's unfair to assume one can't take a scholarly approach to popular music just because most people don't default to doing so.

And for the record, I enjoy a lot of Nirvana, Minus the Bear are alright now and again and Radiohead are good but far from untouchable.
Totally, and I think the reason for this is that people get bored of talking about their favorite things. One of the ways people convince themselves that their tastes match up with the creme de la creme is to denounce "inferior" music, and music forums serve as the perfect outlet for bashing in the skulls of people who are deemed musically-inept by the old guard/elitists.
anticipation is offline   Reply With Quote