Music Banter - View Single Post - Why message boards go down hill.
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Nine Black Poppies
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticipation View Post
Totally, and I think the reason for this is that people get bored of talking about their favorite things. One of the ways people convince themselves that their tastes match up with the creme de la creme is to denounce "inferior" music, and music forums serve as the perfect outlet for bashing in the skulls of people who are deemed musically-inept by the old guard/elitists.
That's probably true, actually--it does get a bit dull talking about the same things all the time.

My retort to that attitude, though, is that there's so much music out there and so much constantly being released, all of which is made so easily available, why not just extend a little bit and find something new to talk about? That's the upside to the digital music culture--it's not as much of an investment or effort to explore something new as it used to be. I'm not necessarily condoning a constant consumerism--always getting new things without ever forming an opinion about or relationship with them (something I occasionally find myself guilty of and about, I admit)--but there's got to be a balance there somewhere.

Plus, the denouncement of "inferior" music in such a way just creates a divisiveness that actually stifles the kind of "authenticity" and "originality" generally praised by said old guard, in a "you are what's wrong with the music you hate" kind of way. Maybe that's not true 100% of the time, but sometimes it's hard not to feel it.