Music Banter - View Single Post - Should US Legalize Marijuana?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #297 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
http://www.musicbanter.com/lounge/47...ic-attack.html

Does it really have to be written down?

Because whether or not it will have a negative effect on society does not fully depend on the effects of another drug. Marijuana can still have negative effects on society, regardless of whether or not alcohol is legal. Obviously when deciding yes or no to legalization, you should look at the effects the legalization will have, not how it compares to other drugs with other effects and whether or not they are allowed.

edit :

Also remember that negative effects of marijuana on society doesn't only mean what effect pot has on physical health of it's users. What about international relations? For Netherlands, drug tourism is a problem. What about supporting illegal narcotics industries? What about a potential increase in traffic accidents? What about children who neglect schoolwork because they'd rather smoke? There are tons of potential negative effects, some smaller and some larger. I think a lot of people should expand their thinking a bit on this subject.
First of all, Panic attacks (and whatever other anxiety based psychological disorder) are not CAUSED by smoking pot. Does it exacerbate the effects of people who suffer from anxiety? Yes, of course it does. A lot of other things do as well, even caffeine. But the point is, is that it's the duty of the person afflicted with an illness to not partake of a substance that will make their condition worse. It is not the duty of the government to outlaw every substance that is able to be abused by a group of people.
Everyone knows that eating junk food will probably cause you big problems later on, but you have the choice to eat what you want regardless, and many people do. Do you want that choice to be stripped away from you? Of course not. We live in a society that allows food that statistically causes more conditions and deaths than most other things you can even think about besides cigarettes (which we all know is legal) and still, we choose to eat that crap. Why? because we should be allowed to decide what substances we enjoy and what we can put in our own bodies. Anti-pot activists somehow don't have a problem with junk food, cigarettes, alcohol, and all the other crap that really falls in the same category... they just have a problem with pot. Why? I have no idea.

Ultimately, when you strip away the years and years of propaganda bullcrap that has been pinned on pot for political and racist reasons over these many many years, you simply have a substance that people enjoy, and BY COMPARISON, does not create as many problems as A LOT of other things do.

You keep harping on the fact that pot should be treated independently of comparison of other things and their effects on society... but it's absolutely DEPENDENT on comparison, because otherwise all you're doing is ignoring the fact that nothing we do is completely perfect and good for us... and that we can't simply ban every freakin' thing that isn't perfectly good for us...
If we did that, we would have nothing. No freedoms, no commodities, nothing... all because the big dark entity wants us to be so goddamned healthy and perfect that we no longer have the capacity to decide anything for ourselves at all.
And when you THINK you can try and decide for yourself, you'll most likely end up becoming a criminal for the rest of your life.
(And we all know how great THAT is for the economy...)

Think about it.

P.S. "Children that neglect schoolwork because they smoked pot"??? Are you serious? You have to be kidding me....
Please don't tell me you took that "Because I got High" song seriously.
Instead of banning pot, how about we ban TV. Education will improve, I guarantee you.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote