Music Banter - View Single Post - Bulldog's Armchair Guide To Elvis Costello
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #134 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

The Bootleg Corner

Elvis Costello & the Attractions - Royalty Theatre, London, 23/11/86

So I decided to do a bit more semi-enthusiastic digging through the vaults for something I could bump this thread with again, just like old times! This here is one of the finest performances from the Attractions as the band itself neared the end of its life-cycle (having already been ditched by bandleader Costello for the excellent King Of America album, not to mention a solo tour or two). The show itself is part of the promotional tour for what would turn out to be Costello's last album with the Attractions for some eight years (the uber-cool Blood and Chocolate). As a neat little gimmick for their stint at the Royalty Theatre in London, Costello proposed a five night-long gig, switching between different bands (with his own anti-Attraction, more country-fied backing band; the Confederates) and solo sets between nights, ending with one last performance with the Attractions. This gig is (I believe - I'd have to look it up again to be absolutely certain) the first of those gigs. Definitely the best bootleg recording of Elvis Costello and the Attractions - it's fiery, punchy performances like this (which actually improve a lot of the songs through live performance) that make you wonder why so little of their live work is officially available.

Here are the discs anyway. The tagging's gonna be a bit dodgy, but nothing too drastic...

Disc 1 link
1. Accidents Will Happen
2. The Beat
3. Tokyo Storm Warning
4. Watching the Detectives
5. Battered Old Bird
6. Honey, Are You Straight Or Are You Blind?
7. Temptation
8. New Lace Sleeves
9. Blue Chair
10. Jack Of All Parades
11. Uncomplicated
12. Lipstick Vogue
13. Beyond Belief
14. Clubland

Disc 2 link
1. I Want You
2. I Hope You're Happy Now
3. Home Is Anywhere You Hang Your Head
4. Lovable
5. Leave My Kitten Alone
6. Oliver's Army
7. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
8. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
9. Pump It Up
10. Poor Napoleon
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote