Music Banter - View Single Post - Why message boards go down hill.
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #32 (permalink)
DeadShotKeen
Music Addict

I'm new here and I think it's a good site. There's lots of plusses: looks and works great, tons of people here, great ordering and attention-to-detail re: the different genre sections etc. (ie real easy to find what you're looking for). I like the "latest comment fires thread to top" thing, which means you can have a long-running discussion and good threads don't die prematurely.

I kind of like and don't like the way all of the threads are regimentally ordered, eg "The Radiohead thread", "The Sigur Ros thread" etc. and new threads about an act just get tagged on there. Great as a source of info on a new act you're checking out but some of them become a bit overlong and unreadable as a result. I think if someone wants to start a new thread they should be allowed, the old one can always be refreshed as well, doesn't have to an either/or.

It's a terrific "source of information" site for these reasons but doesn't lend itself so well to quick banter (ironically!)

Also I'd like it if it only flagged up threads as having new posts since I last logged out, rather than if I've never seen them. There's a reason I haven't opened those threads! And the banner pic at the top (the guitar/decks/CD thing) is a bit naff I think, I'd change that just to a text logo or something.

Pros outweigh the cons though. Nice job by those that take the time to run and maintain it.
DeadShotKeen is offline   Reply With Quote