Music Banter - View Single Post - Diary of an Indie Kid
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
FaSho
____

DAY 2: DEPRESSION

Style: Review
Album:1990 by Daniel Johnston

I was going for a run with my friend Joey Ramone(I will give all my friends I mention pseudonyms based on their taste in music), and we were talking about the usual, how ****ty a lot of music is. He says to me:
'Hey, you ever listen to Daniel Johnston?'
'No, why?' I replied
''cause it's some ****ed-up music'
Naturally, when I got home I looked him up on last.fm, and thought 'Perfect, he's tagged as indie if this stuff is really weird, there's no way I'm going to like it!' At the thought of proving to myself that I'm am not a dreaded hipster, I downloaded 1990 imediatley. First track comes on, Devil Town. Yeah it sure is catchy, but these lyrics are total nonsense, and he sounds Eugene from Hey Arnold!. Then the next track comes on, Spirit World Rising. More nonsense, and doesn't even have the catchiness factor. Next two songs are the same. I start to become hopeful that I'm not a stupid hipster. Just in time for Some Things Last A Long Time. When it ends mt reaction is simple: 'OH SH*T'. What an amazing song. My head begins to swirl over the next three tracks as I fall in love with his quirkiness. His lyrics are so childish, and ate the same time bone-chillingly disturbing. The last few tracks are extremely dark, and relativley perfect. I start the whole thing over. Devil Town is amazing, and Spirit World Rising's lyrics hit me hard. As I'm listening through now, eager to hear the details this time, I realize this is one fo the saddest albums I own. When the sixth track, Tears Stupid Tears comes up again. i almost break down and cry. I've never heard an album with such basic instrumentation be this tear-jerking. I call Joey Ramone and tell him he's an ******* for not respecting Johnston. He makes fun of me for liking hipster music. By this time the song Funeral Home is playing. Wow, what an incredibley indie song. I love it. I make to the closing track, Softly and tenderly, a very spooky sing-a-long. The subtle baby cries, and choral effect are a perfect way to end this album. My final thought on this immersive album is 'Fine, I guess I do like a few indie songs'. Little did I know this was only the beginning. Over tiem I've only come to appreciate this album more. every time I have a bad day this is what I put on. Not only do I find myself having an understanding with this music, but I also feel that this album does some not very many albums can do, which is understand the listeners emotions as well.

Overall Score: 9.1/10 Indie-Meter: 5.2/10
Indie Lyric:
how could I know that's where the wind blows
out to the wind that's where my love goes
-From Tears Stupid Tears

FaSho is offline   Reply With Quote