Music Banter - View Single Post - Bulldog's Armchair Guide To Elvis Costello
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #136 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

^ Good to know I've been getting through. Posts like that make doing threads like this worthwhile - thanks for that. After all, if this thing was solely for my benefit, I could just talk to my mirror for a few hours a day for half the fuss Any favourites making themselves known to you by the way?

Here's another one straight from the top-drawer as well...

The Bootleg Corner

Upon breaking up the Attractions, the prospect of some well-earned time off loomed large for Costello. A quick solo tour was on the cards first though, as this terrific bootleg will testify.

So then, not only does the following setlist (don't be alarmed by the file's size or the lengthy tracklisting - it's actually a pretty reasonable length of air-time) show us Costello on his own (for the most part) as a performer, thus presenting us with a very friendly, acoustic solo-set vibe, but following the introduction of the man's old chum Nick Lowe, things take on a more extraordinary edge as the Spectacular Spinning Songbook is introduced to the crowd. Basically, Costello would leave the stage while the roadies got the thing ready, come back as his alter-ego Napoleon Dynamite (no, really!) and, with the help of his mate Xavier Valentine (aka Nick Lowe in this case, although this would change from gig to gig - the Chicago Bears, Penn & Teller, even Tom Petty and Tom Waits on seperate occasions) would invite audience members on stage to spin to songbook - a giant roulette wheel with song titles written on it. From there they'd be invited to get jiggy in the go-go cage, relax in 'the society lounge' (an area of the stage with free cocktails and cable TV in abundance) or even to occupy the vacant drum-kit and provide Costello with a bit of rhythm. This kind of approach would, naturally, throw up a mix of obscure oldies and bizarre cover versions (including Prince's Pop Life and Abba's Knowing Me, Knowing You - sadly neither of those are on this bootleg) and serve up a gloriously random evening out.

It all makes for an absolutely wonderful bootleg with a great atmosphere about it, and another one of my absolute favourites for sure. All that aside, some of the solo acoustic renditions here are absolutely wonderful, with a bizarre rendition of Pump It Up to top it all off (which unfortunately fades out about half-way through). One for both the casual listener and more than enough obscurities to keep the veteran fan happy. Enjoy...

Elvis Costello & the Spectacular Spinning Songbook
San Diego, 18/4/87

1. Sally Blue Brown
2. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
3. [banter]
4. Green Shirt
5. [banter]
6. Heathen Town
7. Uncomplicated
8. Inch By Inch
9. New Amsterdam/You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
10. American Without Tears
11. American Without Tears no: 2 (Twilight Version)
12. Radio Sweetheart/Jackie Wilson Said
13. I Want You
14. [Nick Lowe intro]
15. (What's So Funny 'bout) Peace Love and Understanding?
16. [Napoleon Dynamite intro]
17. [spinning songbook 1]
18. Honey, Are You Straight Or Are You Blind?
19. Everyday I Write the Book
20. Alison
21. [spinning songbook 2]
22. Watching the Detectives
23. Taxi
24. Just a Memory
25. Girls Talk
26. Pump It Up

^ Pic's the link.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote