Music Banter - View Single Post - right wing punk?
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #93 (permalink)
Shoe
Post Proggresive Folkcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikazi Kat View Post
Ugh... Reading through people's opinions in this thread and I'm disappointed in a lot of people's opinions, they strike me as close-minded.

I say the political views of a band shouldn't matter. Sure, they can be a part of what makes that band them, or be something recognizable in a genre. But I don't like looking at it as a standard.

Most of the time when I think of punk, I think of loud, passionate and fast music that tends to have anti-establishment, individualistic and DIY views. If a band comes along and has a quality that differs from that set of associations, I don't see why it shouldn't be considered punk, because it's not like you can prove that "true punk" has to have any of those qualities. I guess you could call it "punk with right wing political views," if you want to describe what it's like.
I agree with this. People try so hard to fit genres and labels ect but Punk is more about the sound to me than the attitude. At least in most cases. Of course, I'm not the biggest expert on punk so I'm sure I couldn't back up much that I say about it.
Just love my Clash.