Music Banter - View Single Post - Official Porcupine Tree Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #157 (permalink)
mrguy
Please, don't feed Mrguy

I agree there. But, to make a person want to listen to an album again, it needs to have maybe 1/2 songs with an element of "catchiness".
Back when I was a mainstream wh*re I used to hear a song, like it and then within a week or two, I hated it.
In saying that, there are always exception to "rule". For example, The Killers were the first band I was a proper fan of (during the end of the Hot Fuss era, moving into the Sams Town era), and I still like them today. And they are a very easy band to like straight off.
But then you can take other bands from the same time that I liked (e.g. green Day) who I got sick of very quickly.

I think that, perhaps, more "trained" ears/more intelligent/more aware Music fans share the same opinions. As you find that the mainstream wh*res seem to be able to keep listening to the same stuff. But just because you like that, it doesn't make you dumb, just ignorant to what is really out there. The smartest person I know is a Mainstream listener, but I got him into some more "alternative" stuff and that's broadened him a little. He still likes mainstream though.
mrguy is offline   Reply With Quote