Music Banter - View Single Post - Official Porcupine Tree Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #158 (permalink)
Petula07
♫ Music 'n' Sun ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrguy View Post
But, to make a person want to listen to an album again, it needs to have maybe 1/2 songs with an element of "catchiness".
Do you think that all good albums have some catchy songs?
For example in my opinion The Incident has only one catchy song (Time Files?) but it doesn't mean it's bad album. For me it was very attractive although after first listening I was little bit like "What is it? All other Porcupine Tree albums are catchier than this new one".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrguy View Post
I think that, perhaps, more "trained" ears/more intelligent/more aware Music fans share the same opinions.
The smartest person I know is a Mainstream listener, but I got him into some more "alternative" stuff and that's broadened him a little. He still likes mainstream though.
Really interesting topic. I admit that before the time I discovered progressive rock/progressive metal, my music taste was full of mainstream like U2 and R.E.M.
I know what you mean and I share this opinion with you.
Catchy songs are easy to love but also you can forget or hate them after some time easier. But when you love some complicated song, it's probably love for all life or at least for longer time
About the smartest person... I don't think that mainstream is for stupid people and I wouldn't say that mainstream listeners are dull or they ignore good music. I still like U2 and R.E.M. although not so much like before. I prefer some progreesive stuff, complicacy, diversity, alternative, experimental, whatever interesting... But I don't forget about music that I liked some time before and in some way I still like it. At least for me it's possible to have easy and complicated music together. You know - when I want to relax, I don't listen to for example Pink Floyd or Tool but rather R.E.M.

So @mrguy as I see your attitude to complicated music, you may like The Incident. But rather don't expect some catchy songs.

Last edited by Petula07; 03-01-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Petula07 is offline   Reply With Quote