Music Banter - View Single Post - 10 greatest rappers
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 03:35 AM   #122 (permalink)
Captain Awesome
On A Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by matious View Post
Captain Awesome, i actually agree with you about nas, at least anything post illmatic.

But you seem to be very narrow minded when it comes to what constitutes lyrical ability.

Eminem may sometimes have a killer flow, but he has some of the most boring content of ANY MC.

He recycles the same cliche's over and over. His mom. His daughter Hayden. Killing prostitutes. Which wouldn't be a problem, but it always just ridicule and ends up sounding completely the same.

He also terrible choruses, even compared to most mainstream hip hop.
Why does eminem's lyrical content make him one of the best ever?
I'm not narrow minded, I think you've misunderstood what lyrical ability is

Lyrical ability is absed entirely around the techniques you use and how effectively you use them. Techniques such as;

alliteration, multiple syllable rhyming, assonance rhyming, inner rhyming, syncopation, metaphors, similies, wordplay, double entendres etc etc

Eminem is without a doubt one of the greatest lyricists of all time (in my opinion, the greatest).

As for him recycling topics, name me a rapper who doesn't. Every rapper has a certain topic they like to cover repeatedly. I bet every rapper in your top ten recycles topics, if they don't then they clearly haven't released any more than one album. It comes with their overall style.

I find his hooks/chorus to be incredibly catchy and effective.

Eminems lyrical ability(which surpasses almost every other rapper mentioned in this thread) combined with his flow, his outstanding delivery(which again surpasses every other rapper named in this thread), his complex rhyme schemes, his ability to connect with his audience, his ability to carry the same concept from one album to another, and his variety (yes, variety!) of topics and subjects that he raps about. This is what makes him one of the greatest of all time.

Note that anything he amde after 2003/4 is complete garbage. I'm talking about em in his prime not the **** you hear today.

"If we're all merely players in a play on this great stage,
the problem is the script writers ain't on the same page,
I echo through the mountain when I'm singing in the air,
from my lab a lad with lavish lyrics living in his lair."

"Wake up and listen, hear what's not for the public's ears
Pinocchio poets played by profiting puppeteers"
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote