Music Banter - View Single Post - What is a species?
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
P A N
DO LIKE YOU.

what an interesting question.

i recently watched a documentary called "earthlings." despite the fact that there were video clips depicting what man does to species lower on the totem pole and it brought me to tears on multiple occasions (ps, i love eating meat... a lot), it brought a new point to my perspective going by the name "Speciesism," wherein humans believe that because we are more ingenuous, we are able to without guilt do things to animals that if happened to us via the hand of our leaders, would no doubt result in violent uprising.

it made me think a little about the fact that we're the only species capable of looking at all the different species and making a decision to try and understand them, whereas they just go about their lives being a part of the system.

there is also some science floating around concerning the universe and the possibility that it might be conscious, like a species of it's own. if you examine the way the universe works, you'll find that yes, indeed, it WORKS, making it possible to call it a SYSTEM. an autonomous one at that, and thusly alive...? it doesn't reproduce the entire thing (obviously another convo, involving multidimensional thinking, so to speak), but planets die and are born within it... galaxies... quasars... all just parts of a seemingly ceaseless show.

is anything classifiably ALIVE a member of some species? and if so, to what species does the universe belong, for it too exhibits the traits of life?

that might sound like a really dumb question, and it's on the fly, so jumbly it is. but, if we can look at the universe as the mother of all things, the complex within which our planet and many other planets reside, on which we and our dogs reside, inside which the minutiae of reality resides, the word "species" becomes obsolete or irrelevant, particularly when considering evolution as it is there that we see nothing is quite as static as we'd like it to be.

i guess i'm saying that classifying things as species is not a tangible concept... still not sure if that's what i believe though, it's just what came out.

maybe there is just life.
P A N is offline   Reply With Quote