Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Computer Tech Support Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #316 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

I have no idea why you posted this question in the Stereo and Production Equipment forum. (Mods, please merge this into the Computer Tech Support thread)

Anyway, zevokes..

Go to your start button, then Control Panel, then Network Connections. You should see your Local Area Connection. This is the connection you're using if you have a LAN cable plugged into the RJ45 port on the back of your PC.
First of all, the Windows Firewall that's obviously applied to your connection shouldn't be causing you any problems unless it's configured to block all traffic.
To make sure this isn't happening, right click Local Area Connection and choose Properties. In the box that pops up, you'll see two tabs: General and Advanced. Click Advanced. Then click Settings for Windows Firewall.
I won't walk you through the advanced settings because we're just diagnosing right now, so simply click the OFF radio button and disregard all the annoying popups that will result. Click OK.

Now go back to the properties of Local Area Connection and in the General tab, scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), select it and click the Properties button.
All you want to do here is make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected, and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" is selected. If so, great. If not, make it happen then click OK, then OK.
Now look at Local Area Connection. It should say "connected". If it says "disabled", then right click it, and choose "enable". In fact, even if it doesn't say disabled, go ahead and right click the connection anyway, click "disable", wait for a few seconds, then go back and enable it. This will refresh your connection.

Your LAN connection is now configured correctly.
The next instructions may vary depending on what type of modem/router you're using and whether it's a combo unit or two separate units. Give us the make and model of your modem unit and we can look it up on the web and be a whole lot more specific.

But you can try plugging in your LAN cable to the modem/router's PC LAN port and giving it a shot. It it's not working, we're going to need the make and model of your unit.

[extra stuff below]
Whether your modem/router unit has a Mac address filter or not, I don't know. Probably not, as that usually applies to wireless routers. But that would be the only thing besides a physical connection error or configuration error on your part causing you to be the only one unable to connect. You can look through the settings of your modem/router by simply typing in your default gateway address in the URL bar of your web browser.
To find out what the default gateway address is, go to Start > Run > type CMD > Press enter.. in the black console that pops up, type ipconfig
Press enter.
The default gateway address will be the address you use to configure your modem/router. Type it into your browser URL bar and go.

One of the following things should happen... Your modem/router's configuration page loads up. Or you're prompted for a password. (If it hasn't been configured by you or your girlfriend, the username is usually Admin, and there usually isn't a password... by default).
If neither one of those things happen, you're either using the wrong kind of cable (not likely the issue with most routers these days), you're plugged into the wrong port on your modem/router, your cable is bad (I'm assuming it's not if your girlfriend used it successfully, or your Network Interface Card is bad. (You can test your network interface card by pinging 127.0.0.1 in that black console you saw just a minute ago. You should get replies.)

Well, I'm tired of typing.
Start trying the things I mentioned in the order I mentioned them until you get to this point, had none of it worked. Then post your modem/router make and model so I can see how you're supposed to be connecting everything up for your setup.

Talk to you soon.

Last edited by Freebase Dali; 03-02-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote