Music Banter - View Single Post - Current Bands we will be talking about in 25yrs
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #97 (permalink)
Mancini Scratch
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
The difference between the other 3 artist on this list and Jeff Buckley, is that Marley, Drake, and Hendrix had achieved legendary status prior to their death (well, perhaps not Drake, but he was certainly much further along than Buckley was at the time of his death.)
You're right about Drake Satchmo. Seems his mystique is all about such a tragedy... based on other people opinions A young man takes his own life, if he'd just got over his depression what other gems could he have given us [sic] I've actually liked a couple of Songs "The River", "Hazy"...??
Both very moving so was most of the album, name of which escapes me. Moving defianately, Monumentally Deep. Difficult to describe the music as entertaining. A bit Like having Theatre down the ears.

Marley I got into after hearing The survival album on a Compact Cassette when I was about 10 years old. It was a new form of Reggae for me as a boy discovering music for myself for first time. At home my Ma's favoured Reggae Vibe move toward Play John Holt, Ken Booth, Johnny Nash and Fashion. A lot of the commercial Trojan Stuff I suspect. You right about Marley as his name was already clearly being made by himself and his talent. What I noticed though in relation to Marley was following his death especially in UK was that after the charts were frequented my "Buffallo Soldier" "One Love" & "Jamming" amonst others new listeners to Marley suddenly start to delve into his Discography. At this point a brilliant Best of Album in the shape of "Legend" appeared. A Brilliant Album as an introduction to an artist. I'm convinced that Bob's Death turned many into Marley Fans.

The Doors in UK for my knowledge appear to have Cult Status in Britain as I don't think they had much chart succes. I'm guessing possibly "Light my Fire" and "Hello I love you" made some impact in the top 40 while Morrison still in the land of the living. They seem very popular for all age groups especially as Rite of Passage for The trippy youth experience.

That's my confusion though and Music interests me to waffle on but I'm prob confusing Popularity, respect, and likebility with chart success. The Doors were never intending to be the Beatles.
TBH I don't know what I'm on about now.
I'm just bored and I love Music...

Gonna flit to another thread and be frivolous...

Nice one Satchmo. I remember chatting to you on here years back must read some of your posts again always found your writing entertaining and intellectual.
Mancini Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote