Music Banter - View Single Post - What is a species?
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I don't know if it is the best idea to divided a living creature into seven ranks:
Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species. The number Seven is generally prefered because of the history of it being known as a mystical or magical number. Having such a system seems like science is relying on Metaphysics rather then a rational scientific schema. If Evolution is to be true such a neat system of diving life into 7 ranks seems to be a bit of an archaic notion. Shouldn't some species have 5 ranks and other species 500 ranks depending on how many stages it took of evolving into different animals to suddenly morph into it's present form?
Where are you getting this information from?

There are 8 major taxa in taxonomy starting with domain. By only the 7 you mention, there's no way to squeeze in bacterias the way they are currently classified Also, something like the flexibility you criticize taxonomy for lacking is actually present. Each taxon like family can, if needed, be split up into several ranks, for example you could take the family step and substitute it for all these levels :
Superfamily
Family
Tribe
Subtribe
I think this pretty much invalidates your criticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
While looking up information which was something you told us not to do in the opening post, I came across a fact I found out interestinly enough that a Camelopardus (which is a modern constellation) is named after the ancient latin word for Giraffe, a Camelopard. Infact a Giraffe's binomial name is [Giraffa camelopardalis.] You said it only exists in people's imagination. I will not celebrate the fact that you are completely wrong that a Camelopard isn't real, I'll compromise you're only 50% wrong.
Then I will say Giraffa camelopardalis IS NOT camelopardus which must be regarded as a True statement and add that the name camelopardalis only exists in the minds of people - the imagination as it were - and therefore my previous statement is also true.

edit :

By the way, where did you learn about the cabbit and camelopardus? Was it something you learned during your education?