Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You're Digging II
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #3459 (permalink)
theimperialwarcult
Music Addict

Never thought I's say this but I'm really digging Van Morrison- Midnight special.

I got it when it came out in '04 and I thought is sucked balls....and it does. At the time I didn't appreciate the irony (actually didn't see it)....I remember thinking WTF, until I read this review on amazon:

Quote:
Oh my goodness! I had no idea that this was actually available anywhere other than the dusty racks of used record stores or the back pages of Gold Mine.

Van Morrison recorded this album in one continuous take as a way of fulfilling his contractual obligation to Bang Records, to whom he owed one album's worth of material. Most of this is absolute stream-of-consciousness babbling and sloppy variations on "Hang on Sloopy," and "Twist and Shout," relieved by such classic moments as "Ring Worm," surely the most in-depth examination of that particular fungal infection ever recorded by a major artist.

The main disappointment here (aside from the fact that most of these songs are incoherently mumbled pieces of crap) is that, inexplicably, this CD comprises only about half of the songs from that legendary album. Did they not think that the world was quite ready for the glory of "You Say France and I Whistle" or "Want a Danish"? And what about "The Big Royalty Check"? That one actually means something!

If it were complete (and still affordably-priced), this would be a must-have album for lovers of the inexplicable. I may get it anyway, just for the one minute and thirty seconds of WTF? that is "Ring Worm."
and so I gave it another shot and it's actually pretty funny. To have Van Morrison, one of my favorite musicians, play a joke on us with this album. Track 7 is "Freaky If You Got This Far" basically him saying "Wow, you actually made it through the first 6 songs?!"