Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Computer Tech Support Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #330 (permalink)
P A N
DO LIKE YOU.

well thanks!

and i do have more questions... for which i apologize.

i bought a DLink switch. it has 5 ports in the back. one of these ports (it doesn't specify which one, on the switch itself or in the manual) is to be linked to the modem, and the remaining 4 go to computers. the ports are numbered, so i figured the first one takes it from the modem and 2-5 can go to computers.

i have a connection on both my PC and my gf's Mac... but i only get one at a time, which lands me right where i started, shuffling cords and whatnot.

i've tried a multitude of arrangements as far as the ports on the switch go, and it doesn't seem to matter what port is used for what. it also doesn't work unless i turn the modem off and back on, and when all the lights are lit on it i THEN plug the cable into the modem (coming from either computer). i even tried plugging both computers into it simultaneously, but to no avail. i knew going in that that one wasn't gonna work, but i was desperate!

anyway, the models:
router: D-Link DSS-5+ (Express EtherNetwork)
modem: Motorola SB5101 (SurfBoard)

so i guess that's it for now.
again, i'm sorry about all my questions. i kinda feel like a d1ck for getting free advice like this, but it seems if you call the tech lines everyone there has a crazy accent and try as i might, i can't make out too much of what they say and end up hanging up. fer serious. happened twice today.
P A N is offline   Reply With Quote