Music Banter - View Single Post - International music (in general)
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #30 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikvat View Post
Rose
Hello ikvat, I especially liked Rose's song, La Liste: very pretty and soft. I assume all 3 female French singers are singing about love? I thought I heard the first singer saying "je t'aime" quite a bit. I would also enjoy hearing French songs that are hard and gritty, because it is so hard for me to think of French as sounding anything other than sensuous and melodious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqarbal View Post
Portuguese have a reputation for making the most melancholic music in the World. In fact, they have a specific word (saudade) to express a particular feeling, a mix of nostalgia, sadness, love and emptiness.

R. Leão is a former member of Madredeus. This band's music speaks for itself:

How interesting that the Portugese have a special word, Saudade, for the feeling of nostalgia/sadness/love/emptiness! I agree with you that the Madredeus song has that feeling! The video unfortunately cut out around halfway through, so I couldn't hear it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
Guess I'll contribute with some musical culture from Norway. This song is called Fanitullen which name means "Devil's tune" because, as legend will have it, the first fiddler to play it learned it from the devil who, of course, is really good at fiddle-playing. There are a few variations of this tune being played in some of the inland valleys, but this 70s recorded version by famous norwegian guitarist Øystein Sunde and his band is quite popular
Heh-heh...maybe this is why a heathen like myself wanted to play the violin as soon as I saw one being played when I was 6.

Hmm...have *you* been practicing this upbeat fiddle tune on *your* violin, Tore? Torturing people with high-pitched squeals? One of the benefits of playing a violin as a child, especially when one has siblings, is the violin's remarkable capacity for making excruciating sounds. ;-)
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote