Music Banter - View Single Post - International music (in general)
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #32 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I can imagine! A problem with me and fiddle is I can't really cope with my own excruciating squeals. When I play, it's really only a step above trying to make music by scraping on a blackboard. I can only imagine how awful it must be to have a learning sibling doing this frequently.

The song above is probably played with a hardingfele (traditional violin-type instrument) which is possibly in a special "troll" tuning according to that wikipedia article .. One of my friends have a hardingfele, but since noone can play it, it just hangs on the wall as decoration.
I didn't know about the existence of the hardingfele, Tore! The information about religious beliefs frowning on this instrument and its music (often used for dancing) is very interesting, especially because my mother-in-law is of proud Norwegian ancestry and talks about how her Lutheran mother and she herself as a child (in Minnesota) were not allowed to dance. Or play cards. Because, of course, dancing and card-playing are devilish activities. Sigh.

About violin and siblings: yes, my brother was not a fan of my practicing when I was little. I don't know if his growled complaining made me practice less or more! Probably more.

About *your* violin playing: hey, a step above black-board scraping is a start! Do you have a teacher, Tore? Based on your pictures of yourself playing, I actually had some technique suggestions!
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote