Music Banter - View Single Post - International music (in general)
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 07:21 AM   #33 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
I didn't know about the existence of the hardingfele, Tore! The information about religious beliefs frowning on this instrument and its music (often used for dancing) is very interesting, especially because my mother-in-law is of proud Norwegian ancestry and talks about how her Lutheran mother and she herself as a child (in Minnesota) were not allowed to dance. Or play cards. Because, of course, dancing and card-playing are devilish activities. Sigh.

About violin and siblings: yes, my brother was not a fan of my practicing when I was little. I don't know if his growled complaining made me practice less or more! Probably more.

About *your* violin playing: hey, a step above black-board scraping is a start! Do you have a teacher, Tore? Based on your pictures of yourself playing, I actually had some technique suggestions!
I agree about the interestingness of the hardingfele's history. I love trivia like that and I'm a sucker for stuff that has to do with superstitions and folklore! Playing the fiddle seems like it's been a sinful activity indeed and the devil wasn't the only one who could teach you. There's a folklore creature called Fossegrimen (sometimes confused with Nøkken) who's usually described as a beautiful man who lives in waterfalls. He lures young women by playing his fiddle and then drowns them, but if you go to the waterfall at the right time (night time probably) with an offering, you can ask him to teach you how to play.

Fun to hear there are some norwegian genes in your family even if they're not by blood! Sounds like your mother in law has had the sort of religious upbringing my own mother had where everything from listening to the radio or talking to boys was sin. She's told me about how people would speak in tongues during church meetings and how it kept her up at night! Needless to say, I never had a religious upbringing myself.

About my own fiddle-skills, I thought about practicing and trying to get into it, but the last time I tried (when those pictures were taken), I thought .. Nah! I have a flute I'm gonna try and dedicate more time to instead. If I ever change my mind, I'll nag you for tips, though.