Music Banter - View Single Post - Dieselboy? Who's Dieselboy?!'s Journal
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #57 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselboy View Post
Another DnB update today...this time from a 3-man outfit out of the Netherlands. This group, called Noisia, has only been on my radar for a couple years
I liked the ominous feeling of Noisia's "The Tide" and especially the rapid-fire, frenetic, wild and intricate drumming once it started around 2:00...plus the bug-zapping sounds, clicks, rasps, and squeaky-shoe sounds. It feels very gooey and sharp at the same time. Of all the songs in your last three posts, this was my favorite.

I rarely like the voice samples in these songs, though, because they get repetitive for me plus sound out of context. I'd prefer this song to be instrumental entirely, without the "What is begun" voice. Now, is it true that the drums in a song like this are breakbeats, loops of other people's drum breaks? I'm confused as to how they are making the music. I'd assumed they just create it fresh themselves! But maybe not?

Quote:
Single song in this update, but what a massive song it is. DJ Dips provides a straight-up sick beat, layered with plenty of desi sounds and an absolutely brilliant flute sample. On top of that, you've got five of the best British/Asian MC's swapping in and out all over the track, having fun with it the entire time. I first heard this when it was released on a show a few weeks back, and loved it immediately, but it has just continued to grow and grow on me until...well, until I decided it was important enough to drop in my journal. Check it out:

DJ Dips - This DJ
Ha ha! This one amused me because of the concerted effort made by the DJs to look both cool and silly. I'm still trying to figure out why one of them appears first with his dark-rimmed glasses, then without, then with, etc.

I wish I could catch all the lyrics, since I'm a lyrics person and want to know *what* they are saying (the subject) and how each person's part relates to the others', if it does. I couldn't find the lyrics online, unfortunately.

My favorite moment: when the man says something about sharks, and one of the other DJs makes a high-pitched, scared-sounding squeal in the background. I could probably listen to that part over and over quite a few times.

Quote:
Small entry today to bring peoples attention to an amazing DnB mix on Soundcloud, which was put up just yesterday by AK1200, a.k.a. the godfather of american drum and bass.

I do like the atmospheric eeriness and ominous feel of this piece quite a bit, Dieselboy...though I'd prefer faster drumming to give more intensity. This song made me think about the relationship of this music to organic sounds. Part of what makes electronic music fascinating is that it gives people a way to make sounds they could never hear in nature. Yet the quick drumming in DnB does remind me of some sounds I've always liked in non-human nature: the rapid clatter of hail falling and the drumming of rain on a roof. And the atmospheric ominous sections in the song above remind me of the feeling of ocean waves crashing against the coastline of Oregon or San Fransisco Bay...so much power. Very exhilarating. It reminds me of the feeling you get when you confront something powerful that can overwhelm you.

Finally, I did listen to the song with the machine-gun toting squirrel. The picture amused me because during vegan misanthropic moments a squirrel with a machine gun aimed at humanity might be a brief, guilty fantasy (just kidding! Or am I? Just kidding! Or am I? Just kidding!).
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote