Music Banter - View Single Post - Are Women Bad Drivers?
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #38 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
The biggest factor I assume to observe while I'm behind the wheel, is that most other drivers pay absolutely no attention to what is going on beyond the scope of their own vehicle.

I think it pays to be just as aware of your surroundings on the road as it does to be aware of what you're doing. I constantly try to anticipate what other drivers around me will or will not do, and constantly ensure I have an out should something occur. I always assume someone will fuck up. It racks your nerves. All the time. I've been doing it so long that it's second nature, but you can never get complacent when it comes to the unpredictable nature of other drivers. Because no matter how well you can drive, there's always someone who can wreck better.
I do the exact same thing, it's something I picked up from my dad. When he was teaching me how to drive he use to drill the importance of being totally aware your surroundings. I will say that I have changed a few of my driving habits since my hydroplaning accident back in May, most notably is slowing down on freeway driving. I use to push 75-80 mph and a regular basis and now I rarely do more than 70.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote