Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 5 Pop Albums
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 07:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
loveissucide
Himself

Default Top 5 Pop Albums

Righto, I think this is a term that's become undeservedly derogatory. What are MB Readers Top 5 Pop albums, so as to prove there's gold among the Top 40 dross.(No compilations). Mine would have to be
1.Lexicon Of Love-ABC. Possibly the most purely enjoyable record ever made, and there's so much wit and genuine emotion under all the glorious Trevor Horn production.
2.Something Else By The Kinks-a perfect disc of 60's pop, with every track a joy and Ray Davies' finest set of lyrics. Plus it has Waterloo Sunset on it.
3.Actually-Pet Shop Boys. Proof the genre can have work of genuine substance within it, with many of these songs bearing grim subject manner and harsh judgements on the 80's.
4.Steve McQueen-Prefab Sprout. It's the way it uses the most insincere music imaginable to dissect emotional chaos. Chris Martin should be forced to hear this if he thinks mewling "I WILL TRY TO FFFFFIIIIIIIIIIXXXXXXX YYYYOOUUUUU" is articulating despair.
5.Armed Forces-Elvis Costello. All the good aspects of late 70's pop, but with actual substance there, as the man is in the lyrical form of his life here. It's the way it all sounds perfect on radio, even though all the songs are essentially about people either physically or emotionally destroying each other or themselves.
loveissucide is offline   Reply With Quote