Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 01:54 AM   #5470 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
To be honest, I didn't find the movie very entertaining and I'm not sure if I can generally recommend it.
I haven't seen it but I don't think it's supposed to be entertaining, Von Trier is the provocative type, he doesn't want to entertain, he wants to get a reaction, if this movie disgusted you or made you feel uncomfortable then most likely you got the exact reaction Lars was aiming for.

Quote:

Hmm, not particularly good. Has some interesting kills, but the guy playing the lead character - wow. No charisma and what an uninteresting character he plays. For some reason (well, they moved to the wrong address), Freddy wants to possess him and use him to kill people. That means the guy in the lead role gets a lot of focus in the film. Those interested in the Freddy series might wanna watch it, but I have a feeling it can be skipped as I guess it has little relevance. Although I've yet to see most, I don't think the other sequels will refer to it.

Kim Myers plays the romantic interest who seems completely wooden except when she's screaming. Also, Boo was right about the homo-erotic undertones.
I think it's ok, but it deserves credit for ambition. It's never explictly stated that the protagonist is gay but boy is it implied. What's really clever about it is that Freddy taking control of his body can kinda be looked at as a metaphor for his repressed homosexual desires, I think Richard Englund actually said that was the whole theme of movie.

The movie does have some genuinely freaky moments, the icky special effects are great and the scene with the gym coach is really disturbing, and the ending is great.

Also, Kim Myers looks like a significantly sexier version of Meryl Streep.

Quote:

Much better! Nancy from the first movie is back as a therapist on a ward full of teenagers who are all tormented in their dreams by Freddy. Together, they eventually decide to try to take him on. The special FX are quite spectacular (I especially liked the Freddy worm) and although it's not brilliant, it is entertaining from start to finish. It has a young Patricia Arquette in it who who did a good role for a campy horror film (and looked kinda good too). It also had a near-naked nurse in it although she didn't stay sexy for long.
Yeah, 3 isn't very scary compared to other films in the franchise but it's one of the most entertaining, imaginative and well directed and has some really kickass special effects.

I was kinda disappointed that the nurse scene didn't really show her transform into Freddy, which would have been an awesome special effect opportunity and it's a shame because I watched a making of thing where they said that they tried to film that scene but it proved too difficult.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote