Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #5476 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Hellraiser 3 is definitely one of the worst films I've ever seen. The only horror sequel I personally remember being better than the first instalment would've been Aliens, but whether you could call that an out-and-out horror movie is of course up for debate. I liked Halloween H20 as well, although it wasn't really a patch on the original. Gotta say that I'm curious about the rest of the Nightmare On Elm Street series after reading all these posts though. I've only ever seen the first one and Freddy vs Jason (which was pretty dumb but good fun all the same).
So true about Hellraiser III. I quite like the first two films actually, they're wonderfully twisted and very creative. The third was downright boring and if I understand correctly, they turned the whole franchise into a slasher series after that. The Hellraiser setting with the cenobites and so on have or had great potential. I can't say myself if what I wrote about the later sequels is actually true, but if yes, I'll say turning Pinhead and his crew into generic slaher villains seems depressingly destructive to the whole franchise.

I too have actually seen Freddy vs. Jason although I regard it perhaps more as a spin-off. If you're curious about the Nightmare series, the third and fourth were not exactly brilliant, but definetly worth the watch They have entertainment value which is basically what I'm after.

edit :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Yeah, the fourth one definitely has some of the best deaths IMO. I'm curious to hear what you think of the fifth one now. I think it's a bit of a letdown after 3 and 4 but still entertaining.
Might take a little while before I get to it .. The reason I saw these 3 so quickly is my GF was away for much of the weekend. She doesn't like these kind of films, so I'm opportunistic when she's gone.

The coming week, I'm gonna check out the classic series "Tales from the Crypt". It never aired on a channel we ever had, but I hear (read) that it's great and I loved the sort of movies that were made up of several horror stories when I was a teenager, for example Deadtime Stories (entertaining crap).