Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #1178 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

GotJuice was kind enough to send me...

Trespassers William - Different Stars

And I absolutely loved it.

For an idea of what kind of music lies behind the name, a good look at the above album art basically gives you the perfect glimpse of the music therein. Bleak, atmospheric and very slow, female-fronted dream pop. It sounds like a more blue version of the handful of early Everything But the Girl songs I've heard, with a few more synthesized atmospherics and piano backings thrown into the mix. Basically, it fits snugly into the melancholy theme for the trade. For however much it does though, there is a very strange kind of warmth to the whole thing. It's hard to put my finger on where it comes from - probably has a little to do with the gorgeous vocals and lovely melodies throughout. It's uncanny how it comes around and really does this album a whole lot of favours in my eyes.

Fantastic stuff then, and something I can really see getting better with each new listen. I can't really pick out favourites at the minute as the level of quality throughout the whole length of the album is really that seamless. Anyway, thanks GJ As an aside, if you wanna hear another great album that sounds just like this one (although with a lot more distortion and echo on the guitars and vocals), you should definitely hunt down Emmylou Harris' Wrecking Ball, one of my all-time favs. If you need a link, you know who to call!

I'll give the album I got off of Anticipation very soon too. The next (unthemed) trade will begin on Wednesday at the very latest (ideally a little sooner though - depends how busy I am), so it's not too late to sign up for this one if you're still mulling it over.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote