Music Banter - View Single Post - Best of 80s synth pop
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

I always liked Devo's "Whip It" (1980) and, of course, one of my favorite songs of all time, Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus" (released 1989). Do you think "Pesonal Jesus" still counts as synth pop, adidasss? It seems to use less synthesizer than their other songs.

Before I watched the "Personal Jesus" video, I always thought it was simply a great song that opposes religion in an appealingly sacrilegious way. Then, after watching the video, I thought it was about prostitutes. (I was disappointed, because I love atheist songs.) But today I learned something new about the intended meaning behind "Personal Jesus":

Quote:
Songwriter Martin Gore said "Personal Jesus" was inspired by the book Elvis and Me by Priscilla Presley. "It's a song about being a Jesus for somebody else, someone to give you hope and care. It's about how Elvis was her man and her mentor and how often that happens in love relationships; how everybody's heart is like a god in some way, and that's not a very balanced view of someone, is it?[2] Personal Jesus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So...thinking back to the "Personal Jesus" video, if prostitutes are like Jesus, then I guess paying for sex is just a variation of a religious tithe! How convenient!

Devo - "Whip It" (1980):

Depeche Mode - "Personal Jesus" (1989):

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote