Music Banter - View Single Post - The Mars Volta
Thread: The Mars Volta
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 01:22 AM   #661 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333 View Post
I agree with the both of you. I started out at De-loused in the Comatorium and it was pure brilliance. Their latest work, I feel, isn't up to par with the older albums. They are good, and I like them OK, but it just doesn't sound as raw. Omar's first solo album definitely caught me off guard, too. It, too, was fucking brilliant, but again, the albums he put out after that ... Just wasn't feelin' it.
I actually think the later albums were more raw than Deloused. Maybe it's just me, but it just felt like Omar got everyone together, they jammed like crazy, and released the album. I have enjoyed all of them to a certain extent, but they have never topped the debut. I also give them a lot of credit for how far they take the progressive thing. The way Omar made one of the albums (can't remember which...maybe it was more than one I'd have to look it up) is he gave the band members a time signature and key and without hearing anything the other guys came up with, he told them to just go nuts. A really interesting way to make music.