Music Banter - View Single Post - Learning the flute and recorder. Any tips?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosePunk View Post
What kind of flute should I get?
Hey! Another flute player! I've been playing for 14 years - since I was 6!

Like bandteacher said, it depends on your skill level. The most common type of flute is the soprano flute, which is what a beginner flute player will start with. There are also piccolo, alto, bass, and contrabass flutes.

I remember using a student soprano flute (good for a beginner) that was made from a nickel-silver alloy metal. These flutes actually do not have any silver in them at all; instead it is nickel alloyed with zinc and copper (generally). Student flutes are usually silver or nickel plated. The silver won't corrode because it is glazed. It is the least expensive flute you can buy, ranging in price from $200 to $700. If you're going to buy one of these flutes, I suggest getting one that is silver plated. Nickel is very heavy, whereas silver is not.

I have two soprano flutes now. The one that I use the most is an intermediate level flute, good for a university student who has been playing for more than 5 or 6 years. My flute (and most of these flutes) is solid silver with chrome plating. The chrome plating is strictly for vanity as silver tarnishes over time. There are keys on my flute with holes in them. There are five holes in total - the thumb and pinkie keys are the only ones that do not have holes. These flutes also come with plugs that you can put in the holes, so your fingers will gradually get used to covering the holes. These flutes are fairly expensive - anywhere from $1500 to $5000. Mine cost $2500.

The other flute that I have is a fully professional flute, one that would be used in a symphony, solo performance, or recording. These are the most expensive, going from $5000 upwards. Along with the silver ones, there are ones made of gold and even platinum.

I also have an alto flute and a bass flute that I use in my flute ensemble group.

Important things to remember when you get your flute:

Never polish the flute

This may seem tempting for aesthetic purposes, but whenever you polish tarnished metal the polish lifts a thin layer off to reveal the clean metal underneath. This will seriously affect the tone of your instrument, because you are slowly shaving down the flute!

Get it maintained at least once a year

Like with a car, every time you play the flute it will get worn down. Screws will loosen, pads will get flattened, etc. So by keeping it maintained regularly, you will be lengthening the life of your flute.

That's all I can tell you for now because you didn't give me very much to go on, but if you have any more questions please do not hesitate to ask!!

Please look at these sites:

Last edited by Burning Down; 03-11-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote