Music Banter - View Single Post - Miles Davis
Thread: Miles Davis
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 08:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPrimitive View Post
"Kind Of Blue" is probably the best starting point

... unless you like electric weirdness in which case "Bitches' Brew" and "Dark Magus" are very nice
Kind of Blue is a phenomenal album, but for as much fanfare as it receives, I don't necessarily recommend it as an intro to Miles. It's an album that's not really indicative of any other work he's ever done, and as many jazz purists will argue, It's a Miles Davis album in name only. Bill Evans carries the album from start to finish along with John Coltrane.
If you're trying to transition from rock to jazz I definitely recommend Bitches Brew. Despite the fact that it's a fusion album, it's the fusion album and doesn't fall into the tired and dated cliches of every other album that was inspired by it. Miles' trumpet playing is also showcased a lot sweeter on BB than on Kind of Blue.
If you're ready to dive head first into the jazz rhetoric without caution, I definitely recommend Round About Midnight, Milestones, and the four Miles Davis Quintet albums (Workin' With..., Cookin' With..., Relaxin' With..., and Steamin' With..., respectively).
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote