Music Banter - View Single Post - Miles Davis
Thread: Miles Davis
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
Kind of Blue is a phenomenal album, but for as much fanfare as it receives, I don't necessarily recommend it as an intro to Miles. It's an album That's not really indicative of any other work he's ever done, and as many jazz purists will argue, It's a Miles Davis album in name only. Bill Evans Carries the album from start to finish along with John Coltrane.
If you're trying to transition from rock to jazz I definitely recommend Bitches Brew. Despite the fact that it's a fusion album, it's the fusion album and doesn't fall into the tired and dated cliches of every other album that was inspired by it. Miles' trumpet playing is also showcased a lot sweeter on BB than on Kind of Blue.
If you're ready to dive head first into the jazz rhetoric without caution, I definitely recommend Round About Midnight, Milestones, and the four Miles Davis Quintet albums (Workin' With..., Cookin' With..., Relaxin' With..., and Steamin' With..., respectively).
Well wasn't the distinguishing element to Kind of Blue was that it was the first album to feature modal, rather than chordal scales? I never developed a full appreciation for the album but perhaps it's because he was still early in his career.

I definitely agree with you about Bitches Brew, it's a fantastic album from both historical and artistic standpoints. And you can't downplay John McLaughlin's influence in the final sound, I think his guitar work on it is among the most impressive of his career.

I've always seen some of Miles Davis' more experimental work as the most easily accessible, in particular Sketches of Spain. Though the ties to jazz elements are tenuous at best, the melodies are wonderful, and Gil Evans' arrangement was top notch. "Concierto de Aranjuez" may be one of my favorite Davis tracks ever, the first five chords alone especially poignant.