Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite Walt Disney Movie
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #107 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Fantasia 2000 is very damn good and way too often overlooked.

Only real problem I had with it was the celebrity segments which could be a little annoying, like when Bette Midler refers to Salvador Dali as "the melting clocks guy".

The best segments were the flying whales treatment of Pines of Rome, the Rhapsody in Blue segment with the Al Hirschfeld style characters and the Firebird suite with the forrest sprite, those were all amazing. So was the one pairing Beethoven's 5 Symphony with abstract triangle shaped butterflies, that was incredibly creative and now I can't listen to that piece of music without thinking of Fantasia 2000's visualization of the piece.

I thought it was rather lazy to include the Sorcerer's Apprentice segment though, don't get me wrong, it's f*cking awesome. But still, just adding a segment from the original film is pretty cheap. The Donald Duck and Yo-Yoing Flamencos segments were cute but it was like they were thrown in to appeal to kids who were mostly familiar with saturday morning cartoons, compare that to the original which only had one really "cartoony" segment, the one with the hippo and the alligator. In other words, half of the film is really ambitious but the other half was a bit more pedestrian with traditional kids stuff.

The first Fantasia was very ballsy throughout, animation paired with classical music and no dialogue was pretty out there, kids weren't really thrilled by that concept and thus the film was a commercial failure. Disney still took risks with the remake, but not as many, I can't blame them though.

Also, the first Fantasia had Satan, Dinosaurs and Mickey Mouse murdering an anthropomorphic broom with an axe. It's really hard to outdo stuff like that.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote