Music Banter - View Single Post - Cultural Imperialism and the Homogenization of the Western World
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
I don't mean this as a jab but no one is accusing Indiana of being a melting pot. You're too far in there. But America certainly is. And while some demand "Mexican immigrants speak American" you're talking about a smaller group of people there that are likely frustrated, and unaware of their own ignorance.

If they say "talk American" then I don't know what to say other than they don't know the rules or, nor the name for, the language they want to Nationalize. While I think it would be smart to learn a language if you're going to live in that country, I'm not worried about it since english is more easily picked up by the generations that follow.
I have actually been outside of Indiana. The "melting pot" aspect of this country is a very small portion of it. Middle America is all the same as Indiana (I'm talking Illinois, Iowa, Idaho, Ohio, Michigan, etc...exclude the big cities as I find a decent amount of culture there, but also a whole lot of other crap)...maybe by coincidence I missed all the good parts of that region, but I don't think so.

Have you traveled outside the country? That isn't meant to be critical, I'm simply asking. There are more accepting areas of the US, but I won't back down from what I said after living abroad. Once you have that experience, it is easy to see how closed the US is in terms of culture even at their best.