Music Banter - View Single Post - Cultural Imperialism and the Homogenization of the Western World
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 04:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I really can not agree with that at all. The US is very open, it has more language spoken and more religions practice then most countries in the world. More parades for more nationalities then anywhere I know of. It's like an open city not a enclosed fortress, people come cross it's borders at will, on a daily basis. I've met a lot of people nationalities and it's amazing how many keep their old prejudices from their old country. So in that way I don't see the US as closed culturally as much as it's a global phenomenon.
So would you argue that if you take the average pakistani and italian, they are more culturally different when they live in America than when they live in respective countries?

You guys are forgetting to think comparatively. The anglosphere covers a huge geographical area. If you take all that area and impose it on the parts of the world that do not have english as the first language, do you think it would round off an area with more cultural diversity or less? Generally speaking without worrying too much about where you put down the borders, I would think more. You're talking about america and then I think you forget how huge the US is. Many of the countries your immigrants come from could fit inside the same geographical area the US covers.