Music Banter - View Single Post - Cultural Imperialism and the Homogenization of the Western World
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 04:54 AM   #21 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
Brilliant post, Boo.

Neapolitan, you seem to know what this thread is about. I live in Norway which seems to be losing some of it's cultural uniqueness. Some of what we have is getting replaced by what you have. Almost nothing of what we have is getting replaced with what you have. Did you ever eat a norwegian meal? Heard any norwegian music that wasn't commercial pop? This is an influence from the media, we're influenced by what is shown to us - regardless of how much culture you really do have, this is something which is happening.

The question I posted whether you think an american italian or pakistani are more culturally diverse in america than if they lived in Italy and Pakistan respectively. Would they have more or less in common? Some of the arguments here make it seem like if you take an italian and put him in America, the US now contains pure italian culture. Even though almost all americans were originally immigrants, I don't think all have perfectly preserved their cultural identity from the country they hail from. With each generation, it waters out. I know my own family in the US haven't perfectly retained their cultural identity. They enjoy and are proud of their norwegian heritage, but they're very much americans.

I think being american, it's harder for you to understand what I'm actually writing about. I'm in Norway saying we're becoming more like you guys (people from the anglosphere in a general sense). You're in America saying what .. that we don't?
Wuh?

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote