Music Banter - View Single Post - Pulp
Thread: Pulp
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
The Fascinating Turnip
Moper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
The Pulp song I'm addicted to right now is "Common People" from the Different Class album.

I love the sound of "Common People"...the jangly feel, the quirkiness, the prettiness, the sadness and bitterness in it, and the risque humor. I love the build-up throughout the song, too.

I gravitate toward songs that tell stories...and the story in "Common People" is both light-hearted yet serious, so that appeals to my fun side and my oh-so-serious side. Any song that manages to include grocery store visits and cockroaches in it in a meaningful way while discussing the realities of class differences and the effect of poverty (which is that people's choices and options are limited) is a hit with me. Having lived in a cockroach-infested apartment for half a year, I can relate to this song very well...especially since I was able to leave and go on to graduate school. I wasn't stuck there, like most of the residents, who were primarily elderly Arkansas retirees. I still had the hope of escape.

As anyone who knows anything about me at all here on MB knows, I love lyrics...really, lyrics alone could infatuate me, even without sound accompanying them...but in this song the lyrics mix so well with the music, enhancing each other, that I want to listen again and again (which I do):

It's a fantastic song, and a great video too. I find myself listening to it nonstop everytime I give it one listen.
The Fascinating Turnip is offline   Reply With Quote