Music Banter - View Single Post - Theory Question
Thread: Theory Question
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 01:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
gunnels
gun whales

Location: Knoxville/Nashville, TN, USA, NA, E, S, LC, MW, Known Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadgod120 View Post
For my own knowledge, I'm trying to understand the order of sharps, order of flats, and the circle of fifths, ie. how they work, how to determine a song's key, why they are in the order they're in, etc. Can anyone help me?
How to determine a song's key- Simply look at the key signature of a song and refer to the chart above. You can tell if the song if major or minor by playing it. If you don't have a chart available, look at the last sharp in the key signature and go up a half step. If it's a flat key, the name of the key is the second to last flat in the key signature. If there is only one flat, the key is 'F'.

How it works and why it's in the order it's in- A major scale consists of a specific sequence of intervals (the distance between two tones). Whole step, whole Step, half step, whole step, whole step, whole step, and finally another half step. Starting on 'C', we don't need to alter any tones in order to perform a major scale. However if we start on another tone, say 'G', we do. 'G' is a fifth up from 'C', and we need to add one sharp, F#. If we dont add it, the pattern would be WWHWWWW. If you go up a fifth up from 'G', to 'D', you need to add two sharps to make the major scale pattern. See the pattern? Go up a fifth, add a sharp. Inversely, go down a fourth and add a flat. The circle of fifths was crafted to make the memorization of sharps, flats, and their respective key signatures easier.

Sorry if I over elaborated or stated information you already knew, I just wanted to be make sure you understood it. If you have any more questions feel free to ask!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FETCHER. View Post
I'm awfully sorry I'm not as good at writing pretentious posts as you are.
Let's Play TF2 Sometime.|Unrepresentative Last.fm.|Puns, Pokemon, and Miscellany
gunnels is offline   Reply With Quote